Perth City Link
Perth City Link will reconnect the CBD with Northbridge for the first time in 100 years, and in the process create a vibrant new mixed-use precinct that will revitalise our city.
It involves sinking the Fremantle rail line from Perth Station to Lake/King streets, undergrounding of the Wellington Street Bus Station and creating five new connections between the CBD and Northbridge.
When completed Perth City Link will deliver significant benefits for locals and tourists alike: better access and connectivity; more residential, retail, entertainment and commercial opportunities; and more than 4 hectares of high quality public spaces.
The project is a collaboration between the three levels of government: the Federal Government, State Government - led by the Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority and the Public Transport Authority - and the City of Perth.
Rail Project Works
Sinking the Fremantle Line between William Street and Lake/King Streets will lay the foundation to reconnect the CBD and Northbridge.
The first train travelled through the new rail tunnel in July 2013 marking a major milestone for the project.
The rail project was completed at the end of 2013, with the opening of a new pedestrian underpass connecting Perth Underground Station to all the platforms at Perth Station and the completion of upgrades to Perth Station.
Milligan Street Precinct works
The Metropolitan Redevelopment Authority has completed subdivision works in the Milligan Street precinct creating new internal roads, landscaping, public art and two development sites - one of which is earmarked for a hotel.
- Perth Arena opened Nov 2012
- Milligan Street precinct works completed mid-2013
- Construction of first building in Kings Square precinct commmenced June 2013
- First train through the new rail tunnel July 2013
- Pedestrian underpass between Perth Underground Station and all platforms at Perth Station operational end 2013
- Works to sink the bus station commences 2014
- Construction of Yagan Square commences early 2015
- First four buildings in Kings Square precinct complete 2015
- New underground Wellington Street Bus Station opens 2016
- Yagan Square opens early 2017
- Full build-out complete 2020+