New Perth Stadium
The new Perth Stadium will form a permanent centrepiece as part of the Burswood Peninsula redevelopment. Located on the Swan River, it will be a major sporting and entertainment venue, capable of attracting national and international events to Perth.
The design of the Stadium is focussed on delivering a 'fans first' philosophy. With 60,000 seats and the potential to increase to 70,000, the standard of the Stadium including its functionality, services, finishes and fit out will ensure that it is one of Australia's finest.
An integrated public transport solution will ensure that fans can travel to and from the new Perth Stadium using a range of options.
The new Perth Stadium will create a spectacular gateway to our City. Together with other major development projects such as Elizabeth Quay and the Perth City Link, the new Stadium will enhance Perth's reputation as a world-class destination.
Construction of the stadium and sports precinct
In July 2014 WESTADIUM was appointed to design, build, finance and maintain the new Stadium and Sports precinct. Their design meets the State’s minimum requirements for a world-class stadium in a parkland setting with a uniquely Western Australian focus.
Features of the five tiered Stadium include an exceptional view of the pitch, two 240m2 giant screens – currently some of the largest in Australia and a unique façade that reflects the State’s mining heritage by day and utilises state-of-the-art LED lights to show the home team colours by night.
The Precinct will have three distinct spaces, each one celebrating Western Australia, providing a range of facilities such as playgrounds, picnic areas and an amphitheatre.
This design will undoubtedly provide the State with the ability to attract major international events as well as providing a fantastic home ground advantage for our own local and national teams.
In July 2014 WESTADIUM began mobilising on site and construction commenced in December 2014.
- Site works for the new six-platform Stadium Station commenced in October, 2013.
- Contract awarded to design, build, finance and maintain the new Perth Stadium in August 2014.
- Pre-construction site works completed, December 2014.
- Construction of the Stadium and Sports Precinct commenced in December, 2014.
- Construction of the Swan River Pedestrian Bridge linking East Perth to the Burswood Peninsula commences in Q3 2015.
- The Swan River Pedestrian bridge construction completed by the end of 2016.
- Stadium Station completed by the end of 2017.
- Stadium commissioning and transition to operations from late-2017.
- The new Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct ready for the start of the 2018 AFL season.