Gateway WA has formed an iconic gateway to Perth that will create a lasting impression for road users, residents and visitors to Western Australia for years to come.
It is delivering an efficient road and bridge network to the new Perth Airport precinct, surrounding businesses and residential areas, and servicing the area’s the rapidly growing transport and logistics operations.
The $1 billion project to improve the safety and efficiency of one of the State’s most important transport hubs, is the largest road project ever undertaken by Main Roads to date.
The project involves a major upgrade of Tonkin Highway (between Great Eastern Highway and Roe Highway) and Leach Highway (between Orrong Road and the Perth Airport), as well as the construction of four new grade separated interchanges and the upgrade of a fifth interchange.
Project Milestones to Date
- The Abernethy Road on-ramp to Tonkin Highway southbound was opened in December 2013 providing immediate relief to the freight industry by cutting 3.7km off the transport route to the regional network. The new on-ramp allows traffic direct access to Tonkin Highway (southbound) from Abernethy Road in Forrestfield.
- The realignment of the Gerry Archer Reserve was undertaken to accommodate the new Leach Highway / Abernethy Road interchange. This legacy project by Gateway WA involved close work with the City of Belmont and user groups of the reserve, and was completed in December 2013.
- The lifting and placement of 24 bridge beams took place in July 2014 to form the basis of the first of four bridges at the future Tonkin Highway / Leach Highway interchange.
- In December 2014 the first bridge on the Gateway WA project at the Leach Highway / Abernethy Road interchange opened to traffic.
- In early 2015 the upgrade to the Kewdale Industrial Precinct was completed ahead of schedule. This work involved a number of local road modifications to the precinct to support the upgrade of the regional road network.
- There were a number of major changes put in place for the travelling public at the Tonkin Highway / Horrie Miller Drive / Kewdale Road interchange earlier this year to enable the project team to progress the interchange to its ultimate arrangement. This has placed road users onto some finished parts of the interchange.
- The project’s landscaping team commenced installing more than one million plants across the project site.
- The Grand Gateway to Western Australia at the Tonkin Highway / Leach Highway interchange was officially completed in September 2015. This provides a major new access to Perth Airport Terminals 1 and 2.
- The interchanges at Leach Highway / Abernethy Road and at Tonkin Highway / Dunreath Drive were also completed in September 2015.
- The project’s overall completion date has been brought forward to the end of March 2016.
The full scope of works is expected to be completed by the end of March 2016, ahead of the planned consolidation of the domestic and international terminals at the Perth Airport.
The target dates for completion are as follows:
- Leach Highway / Abernethy Road Interchange – Completed
- Tonkin Highway / Leach Highway Interchange – Completed
- Tonkin Highway / Dunreath Drive Interchange – Completed
- Tonkin Highway / Horrie Miller Drive / Kewdale Road Interchange – End 2015
- Tonkin Highway / Roe Highway Interchange upgrade – End of first quarter of 2016