Gateway WA will deliver an efficient road and bridge network to the new Perth Airport precinct, surrounding businesses and residential areas, and the rapidly growing transport and logistics operations in the area.
The $1 billion project is the largest road project ever undertaken by Main Roads, working to improve the safety and efficiency of one of the State’s most important transport hubs.
The project will involve a major upgrade of Tonkin Highway (between Great Eastern Highway and Roe Highway) and Leach Highway (between Orrong Road and the Perth Airport), as well as the construction of five new grade separated interchanges.
The project will form an iconic gateway to Perth that will create a lasting impression for road users, residents and visitors to Western Australia.
Project Milestones to Date
- The Abernethy Road on-ramp to Tonkin Highway southbound was opened in December 2013 which provides immediate relief to the freight industry by cutting 3.7km off the transport route to the regional network. The new on-ramp allows traffic direct access to Tonkin Highway (southbound) from Abernethy Road in Forrestfield.
- The realignment of the Gerry Archer Reserve was undertaken to accommodate the new Leach Highway / Abernethy Road interchange. This legacy project by Gateway WA involved close work with the City of Belmont and user groups of the reserve, and was completed in December 2013.
- A major step forward in the transformation of the Tonkin Highway / Horrie Miller Drive / Kewdale Road intersection into a grade separated interchange took place mid-2014 with the successful switch of several kilometres of four lane traffic onto a newly constructed, temporary intersection.
- The lifting and placement of 24 bridge beams took place in July 2014 to form the basis of the first of four bridges at the future Tonkin Highway / Leach Highway interchange.
- In August 2014 a major traffic switch took place at the Leach Highway / Abernethy Road intersection which has placed traffic onto a temporary alignment and allows the project team to progress work forming the future interchange.
The full scope of works is expected to be completed by mid 2016, ahead of the planned consolidation of the domestic and international terminals at the Perth Airport.
The target dates for completion are as follows:
- Kewdale Industrial Precinct Improvements – Mid 2015
- Leach Highway / Abernethy Road – Late 2015
- Tonkin Highway / Leach Highway Interchange – Early 2016
- Tonkin Highway / Horrie Miller Drive / Kewdale Road – Early 2016
- Tonkin Highway / Dunreath Drive Interchange – Mid 2016
- Tonkin Highway / Roe Highway – Mid 2016